Welcome!

"Success in life has nothing to do with what you gain in life or accomplish for

yourself. It's what you do for others."-DannyThomas

Thursday, January 10, 2013

The SECRET way of GIVING


“Give and it shall be given unto you: good measure press down and shaken together and running over will be put into your bosom. For with the same measure that you use will be measured back to you” (1)

Do you remember the last time you gave something to somebody? Can you recall the last time you went out of your way to help someone who asked for your help? If I may ask you: why did you give? What was the state of your heart? With what motive did you do what you did? A big question indeed!

GIVING is a deep subject matter which comprehension surpasses what really meets the eyes. Giving is not just giving. It is a deep spiritual principle. It is a spiritual exercise that must be carefully thought of before embarking on. The quote above is so accustomed to us that we forget to take a closer look at the meaning of GIVING. If I asked you why  you should give, you will readily reply ‘Give and it shall be giving unto you’ Bla…bla…bla. But really giving is far deeper than what we think.

Firstly, I would humbly like to address a misconception that pervades the world today. Giving is not only confined or limited to material possessions, money, clothes, food and those tangible things. Yes! They are largely part of giving but we must also understand that giving can also be intangible. "For the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are unseen are eternal" A dying mother do not need your money, or food! She needs your time, love and care. She craves your 'tender loving care' When you encourage a discouraged individual who has given up on life, this a great form of giving.

When you nurse those who are sick, you are also giving, when you help someone lift up a load, it a form of giving also, when you spend time with someone it is likewise a great form of giving and goes on. In fact, psychology has discovered that the greatest asset you can give on earth is when you give someone else your time. Relationship experts also claim that Real LOVE is spelt as T.I.M.E i.e. the only deed that proves you love someone is when you spend time with that person.

God, through His son Jesus Christ promised us blessings and reward when we give. God will never ask us to give without having any reward for us in mind. God will never ask you to give away your most cherished dress and then leave you unkempt, walking in rags. He is not a dumb God; he is wise, he wants the best for us. When God ask us to give He teaches us to grow in love, in sacrificial works, ‘For God so loved the world that he gave His only beloved son’.  Some once observed "you can give without loving, but you can NEVER love without giving". One crucial proof that validates us as true Christians is our sacrificial act of charity to one another.

Many folks are living testimonial to this very act of giving. By giving they literally changed their lives. Mike Murdock taught me one principle he said ‘The quality of what you are willing to let go will determine the quality of what GOD will bring into your life’. But there are many people who have given and not really received! They gave, and, gave but have not received. I had been a part of that category of persons who gave and never received. Why then did they not receive? But God said we should give? Why am I not a beneficiary of that command? Something is wrong some where!!!!

GIVING must be well understood before we can tap into its proceeds and this forms the backdrop of this article you are reading now. While I was studying the Holy Scriptures, I came across the verse in the preamble above. I decided to take a cursory look at that verse way down. While I PERUSED through it with the aid of the Holy Spirit, I stumbled on the reason why most people give and never receive in return. It hit me like a rock and a phrase evaporated from my mind! That phrase is the topic of this article. So I widened up my eyeballs and wondered ‘so there is a secret way to give?’ Then I reached for my pen, wrote the phrase down somewhere behind my bible. For over 3 weeks, a thought kept lingering in my mind pointing me to that phrase. Why would you find a secret and hide it? It is meant to be given away for the benefit of others. So I went to the computer and began to develop and build on this phrase you are reading today!

The secret to productive giving is hidden in our MOTIVES. Why are you giving? why did you give? why have you given? Are you giving from your spirit or are you merely giving from your flesh? Are you giving so you could be seen as a generous people? Or are you giving because you see GOD in that people and you want to please GOD? Are you giving because you are expecting to receive? What’s the propelling force behind your charitable deed? The flesh or the spirit? The great teacher, Jesus Christ asked a significant question concerning our motives he said “And if you lend to those from who you hope to receive back, what credit is that to you?”(2)

When we give, we must carefully check our motives. We must ensure that our hearts are properly disposed. Why? Because giving is far more a physical exercise, it is more of a spiritual work. It is ‘heart thing’ not ‘a hand thing’. When you give sincerely from the deep recess of your heart, you are simply sharing your spirit with the person in question. When heart is involved in something it produces greater effects. ‘Deep calleth unto deep’.

So the disposition or the state of one’s heart will determine whether or not one receives a reward or regret. The great teacher also made a weighty statement here. He observed ‘A good man out of the good treasures of his heart brings forth good: and an evil man out of the evil treasure in his heart brings forth evil” (3). So the dominant treasures in your heart will determine what you will bring forth. Reward or regret. See what Paul the Apostles told the people at Corinth. He said in:

     COLOSSIANS 3:23
     23 AND whatever you do, do it HEARTILY, as to the LORD and not to men’
     24 KNOWING that from the LORD you will receive the reward……….”

One of the ways I have learnt to checkmate my motives is to PRAY before I GIVE. Whenever I want to give anything no matter how minute or mighty it seems. I always take a time out to commune with God who I am giving it to. I simply say”:

“Father, my intention is to help this person. I want you to examine my heart and check if the flesh is in there. Please Jesus, help me to give from the spirit. Cleanse me if there are any sin or wrong motive inside my heart. Accept this offering. Oh God. Thank you because I believe in my heart that you have answered my prayers. AMEN”

I have tried it many times and it has worked for me. Whenever I say such a prayer before I give, I usually FEEL relieved and led by the spirit. At that point, I am not concerned about what people will think of me, but what God thinks of me; because I have communed with him. Finally Jesus admonished us:

MATTEW 6: 1-4
1. TAKE HEED that you do not do your charitable deeds before men, to be seen by them. OTHERWISE you have no reward from your Father in heaven
2. THEREFORE, when you do a charitable deed, do not sound a trumpet before you as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory from men. Assuredly I say to you, they (already) have their reward.
3. BUT when you do a charitable deed, do not let you left hand know what the right hand is doing,
4. THAT your charitable deed may be in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will Himself reward you openly.
(1) Luke 6:38, (2) Luke 6:34,

So I urge you today to check your motives when you give. Ensure you give your motives right and then your rewards are certain to come.

BeINSPIRED!

CYPRIAN HENRY
08088733350

1 comment:

  1. This is a very interesting post, I asked myself not to long ago the same question why do successful people give and I couldn't come up with a definitive answer. The reasons you have stated are sound and I like the way you use the context of giving.

    I was donating money to two charities, they were both worthy causes but in reality I was apart of the giving and not really receiving group.

    The last time I gave with my spirit would have been a week ago, I was working out the front of a customers house when the next door neighbour an elderly lady approached and asked if I could help her.
    I had no time frame on my current job so I gladly said yes and spent the next 20 minuets helping the lady.

    To answer your three questions:
    I helped because I was there, I had the ability to and also because I knew I would enjoy the experience.
    As for the state of my heart, thinking back I could only say open as it usually is,
    The only motive that comes to mind is fill in some time, help out and create a new experience.

    Great Post as always, Keep It up.

    ReplyDelete