Many people give many reasons for not going in line with what they have written down as goals. some call those reasons tangible excuses and some call it justifiable reasons. No matter the name you use to qualify it, the fact still remains that you deviated from those goals. however, hitting the target of your goals are dependent on you ability to set realistic goals. Most goals deviated from, are mostly unrealistic. That is why deviating from them seems so easy to accomplish. For example, Maya, who has a lot to do for his parents/guardian sets a goal to read for the whole day without a break. He therefore, begins to follow these goals because the parents/guardian travelled.
Their return absolutely renders that goal paralyzed because he has to create time to attend to them. Femmy is a student who doesn't work but lives on what the parent sends (#5000 monthly) sets a goal of saving #20,000 monthly. On the other hand, Seun sets a goal of reading the whole bible/quran at once without mastering consistency on one chapter. These are what we call unrealistic goals. Goals that have no true source of accomplishment. It might look like its gonna work out for a start, but the momentum drops gradually until a permanent deviation is observed.
Therefore, the first and foremost thing to do is to set realistic goals. Goals that has a high feasibility. Attainable and achievable goals. You must note here that a goal should always graduate from simple to complex and not from complex to simple. This means that you should set realistic goals no matter how small they might look. When you have mastered the consistency in that set goals, you can then proceed to setting higher goals. Don't take it other way round.
Focus is what keeps you on track when you are trying to reach your goals. If you think of an archer as s/he aims at a target, it is essential that the archer has focus in order to hit the bulls eye. Likewise, when a person wants to create something in their life, they must maintain focus in order to achieve the goal.
There are many reasons why a person loses focus while pursuing their goals. The constant distractions in today's world mean that maintaining focus can be very difficult. Distraction of work, home, friends, socialising, events and everything else constantly compete for your attention and dedicated time. It takes time to stay focused on achieving your goals and it's so easy to fail in your attempt to maintain enough momentum, desire, energy and persistence needed to achieve your goals. As a result you often give up and think your goal is unachievable you then deviate from it.
Another reason why you might lose focus in pursuing your goals is that you may talk yourself out of pursuing your dreams. When you first begin pursuing your goals, you may be motivated by the fact that you are improving your life and achieving your wishes and dreams. Shortly after starting the process of taking action towards achieving our goals, you can often begin to question the plausibility of achieving what you want. As soon as you start questioning your ability, you start to loose focus.
So what can we do to ensure we maintain the focus we need to achieve our goals? Here are some tips that will help us stay focused.
Write our goals down. Put your goals, reasons, objectives and beliefs in writing. When they are in writing it makes them more real and they can be reviewed and used as a constant source of encouragement. Eventually your goals will become branded in your mind.
- Watch for Negative Self Talk. Caution the thoughts that makes your written goals look too big to be accomplished. Note here that the goal must however be realistic.
- Plan your action. Build your plan for reaching your goal. Your plan becomes your road map and helps you determine the best course to follow.
- MinimizeDistractions. Get rid of as much temptation as possible that deviates from your focus on your goal. If your goal is to loose weight, throw away all takeaway and foods that contributes to your fat. If your goal is to save money and reduce money spent on non necessities, unsubscribe from any online shopping, gaming, promotional newsletters, email or text alerts. If for example your goal is to exercise more and you have identified watching TV as a distraction, don't turn on the TV until you have achieved the tasks relating to your goal. Use every method you can think of to remove distractions from your situation and it will certainly help your focus.
- Use the Power of Visualization. To have something to focus on we must have a strong visual picture of our target so we can maintain focus on the end result. The more you bring what it is you wish to obtain to the forefront of your mind, the more focus you can give to it.
- Measure Your Progress. You can't control your progress unless you can analyze your progress. Create a system and timetable to measure your progress. Record your daily progress. This can tell you if you are on track or if you need to make adjustments to either your plan or activities. You need to measure your progress on a regular basis as it gives you some control.
- Prioritise your Goal. Focus on a few goals at one time. Try not to overburden yourself as it will limit your chance of achieving your goal and demotivate you. Concentrate on the important ones first, achieve them and then you can look at addressing the other goals.
- Work your Goals into your Daily Plan. Do something towards achieving your goals everyday. The best way to achieve your goals and maintain your focus is to do something that will make it happen each and every day. Even if its only 15 minutes each day, it is better than not doing any goal related activity at all. Give your goal daily attention and you'll remain more focused and at a better chance of achieving your goal.
- Use the Power of Positive Affirminations. Keep telling yourself in the present tense and in a positive statement of what you want to achieve. When someone's goal is to climb a mountain, his/her affirmation will detail being at the top of the mountain, not on getting from the bottom to the top. Positive affirmation can help you maintain focus and help you believe in yourself and your ability to obtain your goal.
- Celebrate your Milestones. Mark your successes and acknowledge your progress towards your desired goal. Set milestones and as you achieve them reward yourself. This will motivate you and make you see your milestone in a very positive way.
You must however note that there's no excuse for you to deviate from your goals.
I so much believe in you and what you can do.
Re-broadcast to inspire someone into action.